8.04.2009

summer salad

Last Friday was okra night at the cabin, and my mom made this delicious salad to go with the main course (the okra). She found it in InStyle magazine, from Hugh Acheson, the chef at Five & Ten in Athens. Sadly, I have never eaten at that much acclaimed restaurant, as it opened after I had already graduated (also, sadly, I am that old). Here's the recipe:

Salad: Toss arugula, large chunks of watermelon, and crumbled feta (my mom used goat cheese). Drizzle with dressing.
Dressing: In a jar with tight lid, mix the following, and then chill:
1 C. olive oil
2 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. champagne vinegar
2 t. chopped fresh thyme
1 small shallot minced into small half rounds
salt and pepper to taste

{image: chowmama, a site with kid-friendly foods that look extremely adult-appealing}

6 comments:

libba said...

I'm going to demand a "do-over".. this is a wonderful salad and perfect w/a plate of fried okra!

Laura said...

Libba--This might be the perfect salad for your first meal in your soon to be new place! Can't wait to come and stay awhile, or forever...

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I've never had okra before, sounds good!

Brilliant Asylum said...

You MUST go to Five and Ten. It is soooo good.

Lyndsy said...

Wow! That salad has me salavating...yum!

Valerie said...

This looks amazing. I love fresh and easy salads for summertime. Now if the weather would just cooperate. :)

xo
Valerie